Home Support FAQs Transfection Reagent FAQs|
Transfection Reagent FAQs
1. Q: What kind of reagent is MegaTran 1.0?
A: MegaTran 1.0 is a brand new polymer based transfection reagent specially designed and manufactured for large volume DNA transfections.
2. Q: What cell lines have been tested for use with this reagent?
A: We have successfully tested CHO; 293; Sf9; HeLa COS-7; and NIH3T3 cells for high efficiency transfection with MegaTran 1.0.
3. Q: Has this reagent been optimized for any cell type in particular?
A: MegaTran 1.0 has been optimized for the HEK293 and CHO cell lines as these are commonly used for high levels of protein production.
4. Q: Should I use the same DNA:MegaTran ratio for cell types that have not been tested?
A: We suggest that you use our optimal ratio as a starting point and test several bracketed ratios of DNA to MegaTran 1.0.
5. Q: What level of efficiency should I expect?
A: When HEK293 and CHO cells are used, over 90% of the cells can be transfected. However, with different cell lines and different DNA preparation, the efficiency varies. Each of them needs to be optimized individually.
6. Q: What level of toxicity should I expect?
A: MegaTran 1.0 display much less toxicity compared to the commonly used Lipofectamine. With the recommended protocol using CHO cells, the transfected cells appears to be healthy morphologically and continue to produce the transgene protein even at day 6 post transfection.
7. Q: Is the transfection efficiency sensitive to cell density?
A: Yes. The best transfection efficiency is usually achieved with 60-80% confluent cells. Different cell lines need individualized optimization for the best condition.
8. Q: Can MegaTran1.0 be used to transfect primary cells?
A: OriGene has not tested MegaTran on any primary cells.
9. Q: Can MegaTran1.0 be used in serum-free media?
A: MegaTran 1.0 works efficiently in media with or without serum.
10. Q: Will antibiotics in the growth medium interfere with transfection?
A: MegaTran 1.0 works well in media containing antibiotic and anti-mycobacterium agents.
11. Q: Do I need to replace the media after transfection?
A: No. One benefit of MegaTran is that there is no need to change the media following transfection.
12. Q: What are the storage conditions and stability of this reagent?
A: We recommend the storage condition as 40C.
13. Q: Do I need to add a separate solution to pre-complex DNA like I need to do for other reagents?
A: No. Unlike some competitive reagents, there is no need to pre-complex DNA as the DNA associates quite well with MegaTran 1.0.
14. Q: What is the recommended method for the quantitation of my DNA?
A: We recommend using UV spectrophotometers to obtain the accurate quantity and the purity of the DNA samples.
15. Q: Where can I read more about this reagent?
16. Q: What is the composition of this reagent? Does it contain EDTA or any other chelating agents? Does it contain any protein?
A: No. There are no chelating agents or protein in MegaTran 1.0.
17. Q: I need to cite your product for a paper I am writing. What language should I use?
A: We recommend that you refer to the product by its specific catalog number and refer to us as OriGene Technologies (Rockville, MD). Furthermore, we'd love to hear from you when your paper is published. Inform us and we will send a gift.